I’ve been tagged by Marianne-Paris from the excellent Paris-Ankara Express blog, so I now have to do a post called 10 things that make me happy. These aren’t in any order, but they have been fun to think about – it makes a change from fretting about forms and bureaucracy.
- When I manage to have a conversation in French – particularly when I manage to make a Proper French Person laugh. I’ve been living here nearly 12 months now, and I’ve been working quite hard on learning French, but I still find speaking difficult. When I was doing French courses in the UK I always got top marks in reading, near top in listening and writing, and, like, 55% for the speaking test. I’m just not that good at getting my ideas lined up quickly. But every now and then it comes together.
- Walking up hills. Well, specifically, walking in hills (and mountains). If I’m 100% honest, the going up bit is not my favourite – but being in the countryside is great. And Grenoble has some amazing mountains.
- Good books. Particularly detective fiction. Particularly Ian Rankin. But any good book will do – I like literary fiction too, and bit of sci fi (Peter Watts being my current favourite from that genre), and even the occasional piece of chick lit.
- The Druid’s pub, Grenoble.
- Arcadia Ale and Wine Bar, Headingley.
- My nephews.
- Bike rides in the sunshine.
- The fact that sometime this year I’m likely to eat cherries, apples, blackcurrants, redcurrants, blackberries, raspberries, loganberries, tayberries, gooseberries, strawberries and ( … drumroll … ) honey all from my own back garden. Maybe we’ll even get a pear or two, but that tree’s a bit young still. I expect the rhubarb is ready already. And there’ll be potatoes, tomatoes, leeks, beetroot, spinach and other healthy stuff, but it’s the soft fruit I love the most. I am seriously looking forward to the honey. Buzz buzz.
- The fact that I’ll be back in my house in Leeds in under 4 weeks. Taking a post-doc in Grenoble has led to a very interesting year, and it has not been without its good points, but I’m ready to go home now!
I suppose I should tag some other bloggers here as that’s the done thing with these meme things. So I’ll just bounce it back at Paris-Ankara and ask the other two blogging sisters to do it – Sandrine, and mysterious sister #3 who only posts in pictures (tee hee). I’ll also tag Rog, and anyone else who reads this and wants to have a go. What are 10 things that make you happy?